Friday, December 2, 2011

Road Trip


My sweet friend Mindy (aka Grace's Mommy) was so kind to invite Henry and I to join her and Grace for a mini vacation night at La Cantera resort, just outside of San Antonio.  So this past Monday off we went!!!  I was a bit apprehensive to embark on our first over night adventure without Marty (aka my Pack Mull) in tow, but I was pleasantly surprised by how easy our travels were! It was definitely a great mini practice run for our first airplane trip coming up at the end of the month when we head to Beaver Creek, CO.

Henry and Grace didn't make a peep the entire 3 hour ride to San Antonio and only started to fuss a bit as we were checking into the hotel because it was time to eat.  Once the babies were fed, we headed out to accomplish the major goal for the trip- some serious shopping!  Following a yummy lunch at Neiman's, we spent the rest of the afternoon tackling the Shops at La Cantera.  After at least 4 hours of shopping, the only thing I had to show for our day was a cute Ralph Lauren outfit for Henry!  I have been in a major Mommy shopping rut these days. I am seriously in need a wardrobe refresh, but can't quite figure out what my style is anymore!  3 months of mommy hood and I think my only clothing purchase has been my red jeans (which unfortunately are now tarnished with an olive oil stain, so if anyone has any stain fighting tips, please share)!

It was interesting to spend a few days with another baby Henry's exact age.  In doing so, I learned that Henry is quite possibly a tad bit impatient (hmm wonder who he got this from?).  He goes from all smiles happy baby to screaming "I'm over this" baby in about 10 seconds without much mid range emotion in between.  Henry also has to fuss a little before he will go down for a nap or to bed at night, and sweet little Grace would eat and then peacefully drift off to sleep!  I am determined to raise a sweet, sensitive, and thoughtful boy, but I am now convinced that some of his rambunctiousness may just go along with the turf of having a little boy.

After our shopping extravaganza we headed back to the hotel with some hungry/fussy babies in tow.  Once we got them fed and calm, we changed them into their precious matching Hanna Anderson pajamas!  How cute are these two babes?  And you should have seen how sweet they were "talking" and flirting with one another!  I think they may be in love!!!


After a surprisingly good nights sleep considering we had two 2.5 month babies sharing a hotel room, we headed for the River Walk to check out the Alamo and have lunch! My sugar detox has been a complete bust since Thanksgiving, so Mindy and indulged in the most delicious sopapillas I have ever had!  They were essentially sopapilla french fries drizzled in warm chocolate and carmel and topped off with whip cream and ice cream!  I die!

We cut through San Marcus on the way home to hit up the outlets and both left empty handed.  I was especially excited to scope out the Janie and Jack outlet for Henry and had envisioned stocking up on TONS of 6-9 month outfits on the cheap, but was disappointed to see their entire stock pretty much resembled a normal Janie and Jack store with the exact same prices!  My mom and I had talked about making a road trip to San Marcus just to visit Janie and Jack, so I am very glad we didn't now!  Outlet malls are such a good idea in theory, but I ALWAYS leave empty handed.

Our two day adventure was a wonderful mini vacation and I've said it 1000 times, but I am so lucky to have a great friend with a baby Henry's exact age!   I love watching our two little munchkins interact with one another more and more!  And I am also glad we got to scope out La Cantera.  As the babies get older I think it will be the perfect long weekend get away with tons of activity (Sea World, Alamo, Fiesta Texas, Zoo, etc) all close by....and the resort even had a mini ice skating rink set up for the holidays!

And just like that, it's time for Christmas....

No comments:

Post a Comment