Friday, September 23, 2011

Baby Weight Part 1- A Candid Confession

OK, I know sharing real life weight numbers can be controversial.  All people come in all shapes and sizes and trying to compare the fitness/diet goals of one to the fitness/diet goals of another is like comparing apples and oranges. This is my story, as I strive to be the healthiest I can be and get those skinny jeans zipped back up!  I have NEVER EVER been one to throw out real life weight numbers, but I decided by sharing this and my goals with the world, it will hold me accountable!  I also searched around the Internet while I was pregnant, curious of other people's real life TRUE tales of weight loss.  None of this "I came home from the hospital smaller than I was before I was pregnant" shenanigans.  For those who this is truly the case- Amen sister!

Stats:  I am 5'3" so small 1-2 lb fluctuations in my weight do make quite a difference
Pre Baby Weight, December 28th, 2010:  118.6  OK so first words of advice:  when you get pregnant around the holidays, your baseline weight is already going to be at least 5 lbs above your standard weight.  In my case, I feel my best between 113 - 115.  My unsustainable but short term dream weight (wedding, beach trip, etc) is 111.
Total Weight Gain During Pregnancy:  22lbs, clocking me in at 140.6 I know this is on the lighter side, and that doctors recommend a minimum of 25 lbs (despite my mom's reminders that when I was born in London the doctor recommended she gain no more than 15 lbs)  I believe a couple of things impacted my weight gain.  Mainly, I had extreme EXTREME morning sickness throughout my pregnancy. By extreme, I mean I threw up 1-2 times per day for the first 8.5 months despite being on the strong drug Zofran (which by the way did help matter immensely).  As I result I was lucky to not have a HUGE appetite the majority of my pregnancy.  And if I wanted a cheeseburger, I ate a cheeseburger.
First Day Home from Hospital Weight, September 11th, 2011: 137.6 How it's possible to birth a nearly 8 lb baby, deliver a several lb placenta, lose nearly 13% of your blood and come home just 3 lbs lighter is just plain disappointing.  I strongly recommend waiting at least a week before stepping foot on or near a scale!
One Week Home From Delivery Day, September 16th, 2011:  125.6  This made me feel awesome!  I felt like the weight would just keep dropping off and 7 lbs to the pre preg starting point was totally do-able and it would happen FAST.
September 18, 2011: 128.0 This had me so puzzled.  I had been eating quite healthy, breastfeeding like a champ, even trying to squeeze in 15 minutes of Tracy Anderson's ab workout while Henry napped.  How had a gained 3 lbs?  Since then, my weight has stalled out at 127.8 and that is where it remains today.  No change.  I have been told that with breastfeeding your body must retain water and it can be up to five pounds.  Regardless, I am ready to see that number move down!

Because of my episiotomy, I am really needing to stick to the 6 week no exercise rule.  I am also dead set on breastfeeding for a minimum of 6 months, so I am not really in a position to "diet."  My goal is to build my diet around very healthy/nutrient rich foods and until the 6 week mark keep my exercise regimen to light walks around the park with Henry and our friend Mindy and her Baby Grace (born 1 day before Henry BTW) and 15 minutes of abs each day.  I have also been wearing the Belly Bandit around my tummy and the Hip Shrinx around my hips everyday.  I am not sure if these products truly work, but I figured it's work a try.

So that is where I stand today on my lose the baby weight mission.  I haven't really set a date in stone on when I would like for it to be all gone, but definitely before the holiday season kicks off with Thanksgiving.

Some Celebrity Mom Inspiration





To be continued.....12.8 lbs to go!

2 comments:

  1. Keep on BFing. I'm telling you. That was my diet. Now I was like a freakin' milk machine, but still. It is the best thing. I'm still at a low weight b/c of all the BFing and pumping I did. It is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the confessions Kristyn, you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete