Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Getting my Groove Back!

This past Sunday, after falling asleep during a 10 minute car ride from our house to Babies our Us,* I started to realize maybe my energy levels weren't quite where they needed to be.  I have had several friends who recently had C Section- MAJOR abdominal surgery- and I felt as if they had even more energy than me.  When I had my first post partum appointment with my doula following Henry's birth, she took one look at me and recommended I get on an iron supplement ASAP.  Between my postpartum hemorrhage and breastfeeding, she said it was a must.  Of course, in my state of exhaustion it went in one ear and out the other!  After a Sunday filled with narcolepsy, I somehow remembered her advice and at this point was willing to try ANYTHING to keep my eyes open long enough to feed Henry and function like a semi normal human being again!

Here is the formula I have come up with, and even though it's only Tuesday, I am already feeling 10,000 times better.  Still not like myself, but no longer narcoleptic:

1)  Nap when they nap:  Not every time, but at least once a day.  This is the most cliche advice of all and I would roll my eyes when people would tell me this.  Clearly they had never had a newborn.  First of all I am not a napper, I am a doer.  It's been the hardest words of wisdom for me to follow.  These previous 2 weeks when Henry has been asleep, I have used the time to catch up on laundry, vacuuming, tidying up the house, showering, Internet surfing, "me" time, you name it.  I am learning that all of these things can wait and that right now the 2 most important things are Henry and me not falling asleep on the job! 


The scene Marty walked into when he came home for luch today

2)  Floradix Iron + Herbs:  This stuff has been like magic in a bottle for me.  Perhaps it's the placebo affect working it's magic, but since I have started taking 10ml of this liquid iron supplement 2x per day, I have seen a noticeable increase not just in my energy level, but I am also getting some color back in my skin and no longer resemble the newest member of The Adam's Family.  Placebo or not, I'll take it!

3)  Getting out of the house at least once per day:  I never thought I would be this way, but I have definitely proven to be one of those mamas airing on the side of caution in terms of getting our baby out in public places.  While I believe the 6-8 week recommendation is perhaps a little excessive, I just don't feel quite comfortable yet having Henry outside of the house too, too much.  But on the other side of the coin, sitting in the house all day is maybe another contributor to why I feel so lethargic.  I have vowed to no matter what at least get outside for a walk, car ride, SOMETHING each day.  Honestly, often times I don't even feel like leaving, but once we get out I feel so much better and seem to have more energy for the rest of the day!

4)  Digestive:  This is for sure TMI, so I'll keep it brief.  FINALLY, after several weeks my digestive system seems to be working normally again.  Not sure if the timing is a coincidence, but I believe everything working properly down there is definitely helping me out!

5)  Marty:  How amazing has this man been?  I can not even put into words.  I know he has to be exhausted too- he is getting up all hours of the night as well and then heads into the office at 7am for a 12 hour work day.  Then he comes home to wait on Henry and I hand and foot.  Always with a smile and I have not heard him complain or lose his patience one single time.  Ahhhh just thinking about all he has done the past few weeks make my heart fill up with so much love for my sweet husband! 

Any other tips to curb postpartum exhaustion?  Bottom line, I feel 10,000 times better relative to my rock bottom on Sunday.  Still probably sitting around 75%, but I am hoping I can chalk that up to the normal sleep deprivation to be expected with a newborn.  This was the one aspect of having a baby I was not fully prepared for, and I don't even know if anyone can prepare you for it!


*A  trip into Babies R Us could make anyone feel more confident about being a mother- the people running amok in there are scary.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you're feeling better!!! Miss you and kiss that cute baby for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG - I think getting out of the house is it! I feel like I had energy and now I don't and the only thing I've done differently is stay in the last 3 days - I am going to force myself out again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has been so long since I had a newborn baby and that's it (no siblings around). I guess with Emma I was just always going outside. Sometimes it was just to the mailbox, but as he gets a little older your outings can be longer. Those feedings sometimes get in the way and I was always apprehensive to be away from home during those moments. I do remember being VERY sleepy though. Good thing is, with the next child you'll be used to it, it won't even phase you.

    ReplyDelete