The Saturday following Henry's birth, we had to make the hardest decision to put to sleep my sweet dog Georgia, a White German Shepherd.
Georgia,
When I think of you, I see your great big brown smiling eyes and I think of all of the life you shared with me. When you became mine, in 2001, you looked just like a small, white, fuzzy polar bear cub. And then you grew, and grew, and grew! Thank goodness you were white, because with each passing year you and I would move into another new apartment and each year I would have to fib and knock about 20 lbs off of your actual weight and swear up and down you were NOT a German Shepherd (which was typically a forbidden dog breed at all of the places we lived).
You started your life with me in College Station, where we spent countless afternoons at the "Turtle Pond." You would swim and chase after your tennis ball for hours upon hours. You lived for trips to the turtle pond. To be a college student's dog isn't the most posh life a dog could lead, but you never let it show. Through final exams, late nights, break ups, and graduation you were my constant companion. And when it came time for me to move across the country to start my career, off you went with me to North Carolina.
It was in North Carolina that I loved and appreciated you the most. My big white best friend. It was because of you that I never got homesick. It was you, who after my car accident, sat with me with your head resting in my lap. I know it must have been lonely for you, waiting in that apartment all day while I was off forging my new, big career. But again, you never let it show. Each day I would come home and you would greet me with those big brown happy eyes and wagging tail and we would go for long walks. In North Carolina, you even got to play in your first snow!
After 12 months, it was time to make another cross country move back to Houston. After the movers packed up my last box, it was again just you and I who jumped in my car and off we went on our next adventure.
One of my darkest days came in May 2006, when you slipped out of your collar at Coco's Coffee Shop, were hit by a car, and went missing in downtown Houston for 3 weeks. I could write for days on how hard we searched, how much I cried, how helpless I felt. Almost everyone tried to convince me that you had died. I will never forget the phone call from the sweet maintenance worker who found you. I can still replay in my mind the first moment we saw one another, after those three long weeks. I hope you have forgiven me for not finding you sooner. When I think of you wandering the street for 3 weeks, it still breaks my heart. I am so thankful we found you.
After your big downtown adventure, you went to live with my mom / your grandma. This was the hardest thing for me to say goodbye to my best friend, but you were so much happier with a big backyard and a doggy companion. I know that these last 5 years you spent with my mom and your friend Madeline were your best. I wish I would have visited you more. I hope you know how much you meant to me and how much I loved you!
It makes me so happy that our sweet Baby Henry was able to meet the greatest dog I have ever known. We love you so much Georgia. Thank you for sharing your life with me and making mine that much better.
Love,
K
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









No comments:
Post a Comment