
This Easter will mark my second anniversary of having been Baptized and Confirmed into the Catholic church. After nearly 2 years of Catholic Class (also known as RCIA) it felt like (and still feels like) a major milestone. That being said, I try to take Lent fairly seriously! I am definitely a follower of the belief that you should not just make some sort of sacrafice, but also DO some type of good deed. This year my plan is:
1. To give up Facebook: This has become my annual Lenten tradition. In theory I should take the time that I normally would spend perusing Facebook and do something more spiritual, but in reality I think I will use these new found minutes to give Henry my 100% undivided attention. No more halfway listening to him play his piano while I scroll through the newsfeed on FB! I must say that giving up Facebook feels like FREEDOM! As addicting as it is, it is also just ONE MORE THING to check into, ONE MORE THING to update, ONE MORE THING to manage. I did dust off my little daily devotional book and would like to try to read this each night before bed.
2. Care packages for the Homeless: I have decided that this weekend we are going to hit up the dollar store and make little zip lock freezer bag care packages to give to any homeless people we see around town. My plan is to make 4 to have on hand in my car and 4 for Marty's car. I will include things such as toothbrush, tooth paste, chapstick, deodorant, Kleenex, a little bible verse or something (gotta pull in the Lent theme), and a $5 McDonald's gift card. I read about this idea somewhere and I really like it! Fingers crossed I don't run across any snobby homeless people who don't want my care package!
On another note, Ash Wednesday was kind of a bust for us! It ended up with Marty walking Henry outside the church during the entire service and then me running out to switch places with him after I got my ashes.
The first non meat Friday has also been a bust, as we both forgot until after we ate sausage kolaches for breakfast!







I love this post and I love the homeless bag idea, great!
ReplyDelete