I have a good friend who is a professional organizer. Last year when she had her first baby, I recall laughing on the inside when she told me her typical type A "To-Do" list had turned into a "Daily Goals" list, and the tasks populating that list were totally basic such as "Take a Shower." Well....guess who is laughing now? Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you my Daily Goals list:
- Shower/Get Ready
- Eat breakfast
- Pump for 10-15 minutes
- 10 minutes Tummy Time for Henry
- Read Henry 4 books (2 Kristyn, 2 Marty)
- Work harder at narrating actions / talking to Henry
- Make bed
- Tidy House
- 1 load of baby laundry
- Clean out email
- Read adult book for at least 20 minutes
- Exercise- walk, ab video, or exercise class
- Take vitamins
I am not quite sure what is more shocking/borderline depressing- the fact that I have even had to make such a list to get through the day feeling accomplished or the contrast between this seemingly basic (but in reality totally challenging) daily list and my typical to-do list from just 6 weeks ago. You see, in "real life" I am super organized. An expert multitasker. Just ask my boss! This little 8 lb human has challenged my OCD, Type A, Perfectionist, Spread Sheet Making Self in ways I never imagined, but I wouldn't change it for the world. Every day gets better and better and I know that before too long we'll adjust to the "new normal" around the Hogan household and I will feel back on top of my To-Do List game. In the meantime, thank God for maternity leave, coffee, and the fact that I love this little guy more than I ever thought possible!
Your "daily list" will constantly be changing - get ready! :) Once you get settled in the new routine, something else will pop up just to make sure you have you're paying attention. Welcome to Mommy-hood.
ReplyDelete