
Well, week 1 of the sugar detox is under my belt. It was torture, but I semi succeeded. My addiction to sugar was confirmed when I was struck with the worst migraine on Monday and Tuesday (Day 1 and 2) of my "detox." Seriously major withdrawals. I found the only the thing that helped was caffeine, so perhaps I have traded one vice for another. As planned, I allowed myself to eat WHATEVER I wanted all week, so long as I avoided desserts/refined sugars. Cheeseburgers, hot dogs, pasta, pizza, truffle fries...I ate it all. And I secretly hoped I would actually gain weight, so that I could just throw in towel on the whole "kick sugar" plan and call it a day. I ended up losing 2.6 lbs (awesome but unfortunate?!), so the cleanse continues....
I say that I semi succeeded, because yesterday morning (after 6 days with no dessert) I caved and had 1 Birthday Cake Pop from Starbucks for breakfast. It's a slippery slope, because from there I found myself mindlessly popping a mini Halloween sized candy bar without a second thought!
But onward we go into week 2 (which unfortunately coincides with Thanksgiving).
My main goals this week:
1. Continue to avoid desserts (with the exception of 1 slice of pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving). And try to ease back on the "pig out on whatever I want so long as it is not dessert" mantra.
2. Focus on giving up white/processed foods. No yummy yeast rolls on Thanksgiving for this girl.
3. Eat more (good) fats and protein. This is the direction set forth by my "I Quit Sugar" ebook for the week. My plan is to replace my morning oatmeal with a Ezekiel Bread and sliced avocado or Coconut Oil.
Week 2 of my crazy sugar detox is really the last "easy" week. Beginning in week 3 the plan is to cut out Fruits, Fruit Juice, Honey, Tomato Sauces, etc. EEEEEK! These changes will definitely be temporary for me until I officially kick the sugar habit and can incorporate them back in. I was however surprised to learn that One Banana = 55% sugar, over half of which is fructose. And, fructose converts DIRECTLY to fat!!!!!!!!
"Eating fructose is like eating fat that your body can't detect as fat...and makes us eat more fat." - David Gillespie in Sweet Poison







ugh... you are a much stronger person than i. no way could i last through thanksgiving week on this detox. and no yeast rolls?!? puhlease. :)
ReplyDelete